Thursday, July 22, 2010

Me and my brother Oreo

The life of a superhero can get pretty lonely. You have to be careful who you let into your inner circle. For it is hard to tell who likes you for you and who's just trying to bask in the glory of your fame. That's why I'm so fortunate to have such a loving, supportive family to go home to at the end of the day. It's great to be able to let my guard down and unwind after a long day of fighting injustice. My family loves me for me--slime and all.





Take my big brother, Oreo. We didn't always get along. In fact he was mighty critical of me when I was younger. Nothing I did was ever good enough for him. He would literally run away whenever I entered the room. After a particuarly nasty fight, my dad had to actually coax him out from underneath the bed, correction from inside the boxspring, and make him apologize to me.




But recently we've begun to forge a more meaningful relationship. It all started when Oreo decided to finally sit down and share a meal with us. Unfotunately there wasn't a lot of room on Mom's lap and he fell off. Not to be detered Oreo jumped right back up there and eventually managed to eek out a spot in the little room between Mom's lap and the Boppy. Now he frequently joins me while I fuel up (though most of the time he is hiding underneath my crib--so as not to appear too clingy). It means a lot that he has started taking an interest in me.




And just today as I was resting up for my night of composting evil, Oreo came over and licked my feet. I must admit to being a bit startled at this sudden display of brotherly affection. In fact I was so startled I kicked him in the face. But he graciously forgave me and even licked me again.




So while I realize we may not see eye to eye on everything--I'm never going to get use to his scratchy tongue licks, he's never going to be really into my favorite band, The Vacuum Cleaner--I am grateful that I have such a loving brother with whom to share my home, my life, and my troubles.






No comments:

Post a Comment